HEADACHE & MIGRAINE TREATMENT & RELIEF:
Head Pain is one of the most common reasons why patients consult their doctors in the Western world.
Your Doctor is an expert at diagnosing head pain and providing pain management and / or referral.
See Doctors with expertise in head pain
- Addressing Headaches and Migraines which are secondary to underlying pathology or disease processes.
ie: blood pressure problems and nerve problems / diseases.
- Acute Treatment. This is usually administered once the headache or migraine has begun, and usually involves medications such as pain killers (analgesics); anti-emetics for nausea; sumatriptan, ergotamine, and Triptan based medications which act on the blood vessels or neurotransmitters; as well as non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
- Prophylactic Treatment. This approach is directed towards reducing attacks ( usually with daily medication); in sufferers of frequent migraines; and may also involve investigating any underlying aggravating factors/causes of the problem and dealing with them directly or through referral.
- Avoidance of Triggers. This can involve food diaries to help identify foods which precipitate attacks, modifying dietary habits, and identification of allergies.
- Non-Pharmacological Treatments. This may involve any number of different types of therapy, including stress management, vitamin therapy, and referral to other health care experts to deal with specific problems.
- Referral. This is useful where a problem is identified that requires expertise in a specific area such as- nerve problems, muscle or joint problems, dental problems e.t.c
Your medical doctor can be of great help in this regard, addressing medical related issues and medications; and referring out for specific treatments or tests- especially where the headaches and migraines may be caused by a number of problems.
All cases of headache & migraine need to be properly diagnosed by a trained health care professional first.your family doctor is ideally positioned to help make decisions with you and co-ordinate any therapeutic trials. Many cases have a number of causes (not just one), so it is important to consider a combination of therapies / or approaches when this is the case.
Head Pain Articles by Head Pain Experts
EyeStrain For a person to obtain clear vision, the focusing power of the eye’s cornea (front of eye) and lens (eye’s focusing mechanism) must result in the image of an object falling on the retina (back of eye). When this does not occur, the eye is said to be ametropic. There are three different classes… Read More
Glaucoma The eye has an internal fluid (aqueous) which maintains a pressure inside the eye, referred to as the intraocular pressure. If drainage of this fluid is disrupted, the pressure within the eye rises and may result in glaucoma. Glaucoma is a disease process that occurs when the nerves that transmit information from the eyes… Read More
Optic Nerve Damage Papilloedema is a condition whereby there is a swelling of the optic nerve (transmits messages from the eye to the brain) due to elevation of the pressure of the fluid, inside the skull. Visual symptoms may include transient bouts of visual blurring, along with double vision followed by complete recovery. It is… Read More